Sources and Additional Information
- Source for Current Death Row Population: NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. "Death Row USA" April 1, 2018
- State executions accurate as of most recent execution.
- Source for most Pre-1976 executions: The Espy Database. May include executions under federal or military authority that took place in the state listed.
- States with and without the Death Penalty
- Source for Murder Rates: FBI Uniform Crime Statistics for 2016 (Published September 2017)
- J. Acker & C. Lanier, "May God--or the Governor--Have Mercy: Executive Clemency and Executions in Modern Death-Penalty Systems," 36 Criminal Law Bulletin 200 (2000); see also W. Sowa, "Does It Matter How Clemency Is Dispensed? An Analytical Approach in Evaluating the Myths and Truths of Clemency Since 1977" (2011) (Stetson University College of Law, Class of 2012), with updates by DPIC.
- Death Row Locations: Provided by each State Department of Corrections
- Felony Murder Information: J. Trigilio & T. Casadio, EXECUTING THOSE WHO DO NOT KILL: A CATEGORICAL
APPROACH TO PROPORTIONAL SENTENCING, 48 AMERICAN CRIMINAL LAW REVIEW 1371 (2011); Acker, James R. and C.S. Lanier, "The Dimensions of Capital Murder," 29 Criminal Law Bulletin 379 (1993).
- Female Statistics: Streib, Victor L., "Death Penalty for Female Offenders"
- Juvenile Statistics: Streib, Victor L., "The Juvenile Death Penalty Today"
DPIC WEB PAGES